On Monday, October 30, College Council approved five funding requests:
- TEDxUVA Student Speaker Competition
- Date: November 8th, Boylan Heights
- Annual Competition in which Students give their own TED Talks and compete for a spot in the Annual TEDxUVA Conference, a TED Talks event in February at the Rotunda. Winning speeches are selected based on attendee voting and relevance to the Spring conference theme and TED’s overarching philosophy of “Ideas Worth Spreading.”
- Taste of Taiwan
- Date: November 11th
- Taste of Taiwan is Taiwanese Student Association’s (TSA) biggest event of the year! Open to anyone and all, we provide free Taiwanese food (including vegetarian options) as well as have a section of poster boards/activities/items meant to educate and bring awareness to Taiwanese culture. Our menu consists of bubble tea, beef noodle soup, tea eggs, almond jelly, scallion pancakes, and suan la mian (vegetarian spicy and sour noodles). We have done this event for years, turnout has always been good, and we always run out of food by the end!
- Global Celebration of Art
- Date: November 4th
- Global Student Council will be setting up a display within CultureFest to showcase a couple different types of cultural art from around the world. We will have interactive displays for Japanese Origami and Chinese Calligraphy, so that people can learn about and try out these two forms of art.
- FSIG: Greek Fest Luncheon for COLA
- Date: November 17th
- I would like to have the opportunity to take 18 first year students from my first-year seminar on the topic of “Food and Culture” to Charlottesville’s Greek Fest on November 17. There, they will have the opportunity to engage with members of Charlottesville’s Greek community, ask questions, and experience a Greek meal of pastichio, spanikopita, seasoned green beans and salad, Greek pastry, etc. I would love for them to have this special opportunity, which will take place during our class time.