Pre-Approval Process

This information is only for Co-Sponsorships and FSIGs. Please refer to the “Student Research Grants” tab for relevant application and approval information for individuals. Please go over our funding restrictions below to make sure your event is eligible before application. If we do fund your event, please list us as a sponsor somewhere in the Facebook event description/photo or on a banner/poster at the event. Failure to acknowledge our contribution will result in future events from your organization being less likely to be funded.

Funding Restrictions

All funding programs are subject to the restrictions below. Please contact our Funding Chair at with any questions. PLEASE READ THOROUGHLY BEFORE APPLYING FOR FUNDING.

    • Vendors: Any expenditures that require skilled services and/or a contract with a third party are considered vendor payments and will need to be paid by College Council directly. Examples of vendor payments: venue rental, speaker fees, printing journals, ordering custom-printed T-shirts, etc. Please contact us before making any payments for vendor items – if you have made the payment yourself, College Council will not be able to reimburse and fund your event.
    • Honorariums: Payment for services to individuals unaffiliated with UVa (e.g. speaker fees) can be funded by College Council, although they are subject to more stringent approval requirements. They fall under a vendor payment. Please reach out to us before making any payments. Payments for service to individuals affiliated with UVa (e.g. speaker fees for a professor) CANNOT be funded by College Council.
    • Prizes: Unless a prize is integral to an event’s success, College Council will not fund them. The College Council cannot fund money prizes under any circumstances. We can potentially fund gift cards, but gift cards to UVa students must be screened by Financial Aid.
    • Philanthropy: College Council cannot fund philanthropic events. Even if philanthropy is not the primary purpose of an event, College Council is unable to fund events that raise money for charity in any way.
    • Travel and Lodging: College Council prefers NOT to fund travel or lodging for co-sponsorships due to logistical difficulty and concerns about exclusivity (events that involve travel are less open to the whole College community). However, special accomodations can potentially be made if travel/lodging is integral to the event and fulfills our goals. If you plan to apply for travel/lodging funding, please reach out to us to see what we can do before making any purchases. We try not to fund transportation or hotel costs, but can fund food.
    • Exclusive Events: It is not in our goals to fund events that are not open to all students of the College (i.e. restrictive in nature). If your event is only marketed toward and/or for students of a certain organization, religion, or any other background, it will not be funded. However, we are happy to fund events that celebrate a particular culture/background, as long as those events are open to all students in the College.
    • Alcohol: College Council funds may not be used to purchase alcoholic beverages.


All groups and individuals applying for a College Council co-sponsorship must apply through our online funding system. If at all possible, requests should be submitted at least three weeks prior to the proposed expenditure. For help with our funding system, please see our Funding System FAQ.

Please contact our Funding Chair, Chelsea Li, at with any questions.


The general body will vote to approve, reject, or table each application. Our Funding Chair will notify applicants of their status by the end of the week. Some proposals may be partially funded, or funded only for particular expenses. Tabled proposals may require editing or additional information before they will be reconsidered by Council.

Carefully review our reimbursement procedures and funding restrictions before purchasing items. It is your responsibility to save all supporting documentation and only expense items approved by the Council. In addition, you MUST save and submit original, hard-copy receipts in order to be reimbursed. Failure to submit original, hard-copy receipts may affect College Council’s ability to reimburse expenses.

Please contact our Treasurer, Jackie Chen, at with any questions about expenditures.